Saturday, September 5, 2009

Making a Burda Dress



Yikes, I've got my work cut out for me... no pun intended.

Here's a little bit about the process:

I'm going to be doing this dress, minus the strange Scandanavian-looking vest.



But to get there I have to start transferring the pattern to pattern paper. Or, as I've found, cheap IKEA kid's construction paper that comes in a nice large roll works very nicely.



Ursa helped me read the instructions.



The fabric I am going to use is from Mill End Fabrics, a large fabric store south of Portland. They have a huge fashion section and I ended up spending about $10 for 3 yards of fabric. The buttons that I am planning to use were a gift from my Grandma - the same one that gave me several from my Great Aunt's button collection. They seem like they are older because they appear to be hand etched. I've never seen anything like it.



If I can, I may also try to use this orange trim too. I love the contrast between these two colors. I'll post my progress soon.

3 comments:

julia said...

I'm anxious to see the end result. I love the buttons!

Becky said...

I didn't realize that the dress was in there-- I liked the dress but not the vest! But somehow I missed that. Good to know.

disa said...

I love it ! Very creative ! That's actually really cool Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails